KIM’S KORNER OCTOBER 2019
October is busy here at the Horizon Center. Please come see us for activities, information and assistance. This is a very busy and confusion time for everyone looking at insurance. Let us help you with this. Kathy McFarland, our SHIP counselor, along with the other SHIP counselors will help you through the maze of paperwork and information. This year the medications you are taking are a very important part that changes yearly per each plan. She can help you find the most appropriate insurance plan for you according to your diagnosis and what medication you take. Open Enrollment is the only time that you can change your insurance plan if you are not happy with it during the year. It is good to have someone who is aware of the plans to help you navigate through this maze with you.
Medicare Annual Enrollment Period (AEP) is HERE – October 15 through December 7. Shelby Senior Services will again this year partner with Medicare and have SHIP Counselors available to assist you at NO COST
IMPORTANT to KNOW to make your appointments run smoothly …
- Schedule your appointment for one hour and be prepared to arrive on time and use the entire hour. One hour per person.
- Days available for SHIP appointments begin October 16 and end December 5. Hours are Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday ONLY 8:00 am to 3:00 pm.
- Bring your “New” Medicare Card (the red, white, and blue, one)
- Bring a complete list of your PRESCRIPTION drugs by name, dosage, and frequency.
- Bring all the cards you use for any of your health care when you see your doctors.
- Know your monthly income to see if you qualify for any subsidies.
- If you still have the September Horizon Newsletter, review the article in Kim’s Korner – Medicare Annual Enrollment 2020.
How Do I Schedule with a SHIP Counselor for Medicare AEP?
- Call Shelby Senior Services 317 398 0127. Inform the receptionist that you want to schedule a Medicare Annual Enrollment appointment with a SHIP counselor.
- Your call will be transferred to the Volunteer receptionist to schedule the appointment.
- You will be asked… your name, your contact phone number, and what are you wanting to review. Do you only want to review your prescription drug plan, or do you want to review your medical, dental, and or Advantage Plan, or all of the above?
You will be responsible for remembering your appointment. You will not be receiving reminder calls prior to your appointment. If you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment, call Shelby Senior Services 317 -398 -0127 for assistance. Looking forward to working with you in making your health plans work for you!